History

imgcons4Cumberland & North WestmorlandA section on the history of the Cumberland Association ( 1889 to 1947) and the Cumberland and North Westmorland Association (1947 to 1975) will be added later.

Archive cabinet

 

 

The Guild Archive is housed in a cabinet in the ringing room at the Cathedral.

 

Here are a few items from 1975 to 2017 – please contribute.

Carlisle DGCBR established

12th April 1975

Carlisle DGCBR established

The final AGM of the Cumberland and Westmorland Association of Changeringers held at Orton agreed to change the name to the Carlisle Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers

Read more

Ten bells for Whitehaven

15th December 1978

The Guld’s first ring of ten are dedicated at Whitehaven

Read more

First Annual Dinner

9th October 1982

The Guild held its first Annual Dinner at the Tithebarn in Cockermouth

Read more

Carlisle Diocese 850th Anniversary

21st April 1983

CDGCBR hosts Central Council meeting

12th April 1988

First Guild Training Day

29th April 1990

Millennium Celebrations

1st January 2000

Millennium projects in the CDGCBR area include: Carlisle Cathedral Wigton Aspatria Greystoke

Read more

Ringing Open Day

17th July 2002

CDGCBR and Lancashire Association towers were open

Read more

New peal ringers

2nd December 2015

New peal ringers

Six ringers from the Guild rang their first peal in 2015 to mark 300 years since the first recorded full peal.

Read more

Closure of Cleator Moor

2nd May 2017

Cleator Moor (archived web page)

Read more

Ringing around the Lake District